My journey of TTC-ing and Motherhood

So, after much persuasion from the husband I've decided to pen down my thoughts as well as my journey on motherhood and also mainly the steps we did to conceive our first and the current bun in my oven! 

Just to share some background info, I'm J from Singapore. 29 going on 30, some may call me bubbly but truth be told I am a hard core ruminator and sadly will think of all the 10000001 things that will go wrong. Which is also probably why, I did a ton of research on TTC as have probably watched all the pregnancy symptom videos on YouTube, because I'm crazy like that. 


Ok, let's start first with Baby S.

Baby S, just turned 1 is a mini- me and is the joy of my life. She was born on March 23rd, 2019. I went through an emotional rollercoaster before trying to conceive S and gave myself (and hubby) 6 months to get pregnant. I didn't think getting pregnant was going to be easy as I had a rather long cycle. So, on the month we decide to start trying I dragged my sister and I to the gynaecologist, and asked her to take a good look at our insides. She then told me, oh dear I don't see a corpus luetum, which means you haven't ovulated. Shit, I thought in my head. She then asked me to take a progesterone test, in which the results came out fine. I told her I really wanted a baby, she then gave me a round of clomid and told me to take it on the first day of my period. 

I came home told the husband:' shit la, there's really something wrong with me." he then laughed and pushed it aside. Ughh, I thought to myself. Nevermind, I can do this on my own. 

I realised I started to freak out when my customers started to tell me, how they've had problems conceiving, some were on IVF, some successful, some not. But one thing , I then realised did maybe stress did have a part to play in this? I then told myself to chill out and not stress, take some time off and see this wonderful TCM woman, my customers had been telling me about Dr Tan Siew Buoy, she was known to be somewhat like a dragon lady albeit with a high success rate, her waiting time for new customers? 4 months!!!!

Ok, I told myself I'll try this out and tune my body to its best possible condition before we embark on this journey. 

I booked my appointment with her in March, and the husband and I decided to try in the month of July. So, I felt everything was sort of tying in together. 


I went into her clinic, It was a very strange atmosphere, I guess you could tell that all the women there were all there for one specific reason- ie:to get pregnant. I saw one couple, fighting- I could tell the husband was fed up with doctor's visits. It also didn't help, that often when you did have an appointment, it would still take 2 hours for it to be our turn. My appointment was at 2, and I saw her at 4?

 I walked in and that's when she then started a quick fire round, asking about my sleeping habits, how regular is my period etc... I heard she didn't like to be interrupted, so I just let her ask the questions and gave her my sweetest smile.Up on her board, was celebrity Mark Lee and wife, ah no wonder she's so popular. 

She took my pulse, she said I had Han qi- which is not good for baking a baby apparently, told me to cut back on cold drinks and prescribed me a giant bag of herbs and  a temperature chart for me to track my temperature.The damage was not cheap, I believe I spent about 170 there. 

I then had to task myself with buying a giant claypot, to brew my herbs. and boy, did it taste like shit. 


So, now with meds from both western and Chinese medicine, I was very enthusiastic about conceiving. I had been using 2 trackers, Flo and Ovia, I realised Ovia, gave me better results but in any case I would then see the fertility windows in both trackers and take the earlier date and the later date just to be safe. 


I think when you first start out on any TTC journey, your enthusiasm starts out at 100, then you realise how tiring it is, and when you get disappointed, it eats a bit up of you and then it sort of "kills"the relationship. Doing the deed, is no longer enjoyable but its an act cos you need to get pregnant!!!!!


Ok, sorry for the slight digression, we do the deed on alternate days, I did things like ok shift your legs up on a pillow, or some said doing it in the morning was better. 


A few days passed, I then decided to test if I was pregnant, I used one of those cheap sticks on the internet. Peed on it, negative. Bummer. 

Told myself, its ok I'll try again the next cycle. Day 42, no period. Called up the clinic, they asked me if I was pregnant, No I said, how many times do you want me to repeat myself. Ok, never mind they wanted me to pee on a stick again. And so I did, negative. Ok, she then asked me to go in. Did a blood test, she then called me, oh sorry J, you're not pregnant. I'm like I kinda knew that, thanks for rubbing it in my face. Now, can we just move on so I can take my freaking clomid. OK, day 45, uh, hello no period. Got angry at God, where was my bloody period so I can take clomid. Called the clinic, uh hiiiiii my period isn't here yet can we sorta induce my period? Nurse then told me again:' are you sure you're not pregnant." At this point in time, I was pretty much pissed off.How many times, do you want me to take this bloody test ah. Doctor called me in the next day to try to induce my period. 

The next morning, was getting ready to walk my dogs and had this weird voice in my head:" maybe I can just try to poas again?" 

Peed on it and there came up the faint line- didn't help that I had astigmatism, had to keep double guessing myself- took a pic and sent it to my closest staff and sister. Do you see what I see??? Oh my god. , Oh my god. , Oh my god. , was all I could think of. 


I rushed to go in and where she took a hcg test, and tada, I was pregnant.

And as usual, with all men, I told K I was pregnant and first thing he said, wow my swimmers are great. men!!!!

I'll be continuing the next post, as to what crazy hormones can do to you during the first tri! and of course more TTC tips. 

I'll leave Dr Tan's contacts here below. I've changed TCM doctor since, mainly due to her long waiting time. Will share his details when I talk about how we conceived #2!



Health and Beauty Pte Ltd 康得美

38 Upper Cross Street, Singapore 058341
Tel: 6534 4131


Till then, 

Love J. 





Comments